The great thing about this recipe is that it can be made a few different ways. In class we made individual pies with a shortcake mixture on the bottom, stewed apple and a few raspberries in the middle and a crumble topping. The recipe can be used the same way or you can make it like an apple crumble without the shortcake on the base, alternatively you could use the shortcake on the top and bottom. These quantities will make approximately 15 cupcake size pies or one large pie. In class the children used a free standing electric mixer to make the shortcake recipe but this can also be made using a hand held mixer or with a bit of muscle it can be mixed by hand. The recipe has been left in the same format that the children used in class with step-by-step instructions.
– 125g butter
– 100g caster sugar
– 1 egg
– 180g plain flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
• Weigh the butter then cut it into six even pieces and add it to the mixing bowl of an electric mixer.
• Weigh the caster sugar and add it to the mixing bowl with the butter.
• Lower the beater and turn the mixer on, slowly increasing the speed. Beating the butter and sugar together will make it soft, light and creamy. This is called ‘creaming’ the butter and sugar.
• Break egg into a cup and then add it to the creamed butter and sugar and continue to beat the mixture.
• Beat for 1 – 2 minutes.
• Weigh the flour and measure the baking powder and mix them together.
• Carefully add the flour and baking powder to the butter, sugar and eggs and beat the mixture until it is combined.
• This can be placed in the fridge to ‘firm’ up a little.
– Peel, core and slice 6 – 8 apples
– Cook the apples in a medium sized saucepan with approximately ¼ cup of water until they are soft and sweet.
– 1 cup of wholemeal plain flour
– ½ cup of brown sugar
– ½ tspn ground ginger
– 125g unsalted butter
– ½ cup of oats
• Measure all the ingredients and add them to a large bowl.
• Rub the ingredients together using your fingers (in class we used disposable gloves).
• Grease the pie dish.
• Press shortcake mixture into the base, do not to make it too thick as it will rise.
• Add a layer of apple and a few raspberries if you like (we used frozen raspberries).
• Add a layer of crumble to the top of the pie.
Cook in a preheated oven at 160 – 180deg for 30 – 45mins depending on the size of the pie. Enjoy!