GPA Newsletter #12 – 22 August 2019
Events & Reminders
Term 3: Monday 15 July – Friday 20 September
Friday 23 August: GPA Meeting (9.30am – straight after school assembly – in the Wendy Wilson Hall)
Friday 23 August: Father’s Day Stall Gift Sorting (1 – 3.30pm, Wendy Wilson Hall)
Friday 30 August: Father’s Day Stall (Wendy Wilson Hall)
Friday 6 September: Kids Disco
Tuesday 10 September: GPA Meeting (9.10am, Wendy Wilson Hall)
Friday 20 September: Pie Lunch and Last Day of School (early finish 2.30pm)
The GPA would like to thank:
- Cassandra David and Ange Natalier for continuing the baking order for our Term 3 Cake Raffle
- Gajalakshmi Ramalingam, Heidi Powell, Rohini Kulkarni, Anjali Jain and Pushpalatha Manavalan for volunteering to serve at our Friday lunchtime snacks over the last fortnight
Book Week – Friday 23 August
Just a reminder that kids from Prep to Grade 6 are invited to dress up as their favourite book character on Friday 23 August. Here’s a little inspiration for those of you who take dressing up very seriously. Don’t forget to bring along a gold coin donation to go towards purchasing new books for the library. Children are also invited to donate a new or second hand book to their classroom libraries.
Father’s Day Stall
(Friday 30th August 2019, Wendy Wilson Hall, 9.30am – 3pm)
Please support our Father’s Day Stall by:
- donating gifts, plants and baked goods
- volunteering at our gift sorting session (Friday 23 August 1pm-3.30pm, WWH) and at the Father’s Day Stall (Friday 30th August, sessions from 9.30am-3pm, WWH)
- sending money along with the children on Friday 30th August so that they can have some fun purchasing some great pressies to give with love! Lots of amazing gifts will be available for $1-$10.
Thanks to those who have already signed up to help out!
We do still do need volunteers to help on the Father’s Day Stall especially for the 10.30-11.30am, 11.30am-12.30pm, 1.00-2.00pm and 2.00-3.00pm sessionsl
If you haven’t already sent in your volunteer sign up sheet into the office but can help please submit your form ASAP – here is a copy of the Fathers Day Stall 2019 Notice.
Kids Disco – Friday 6 September
Our Kids Disco is back on Friday 6 September with resident DJ, Claire Piscioneri spinning a curated selection of tracks that are sure to get your kids up on the dance floor. Our JUNIOR DISCO (prep-2) will run from 5-6.20 and the SENIOR DISCO (3-6) will run from 6.30-8pm.
Tickets: $10 each
A notice with informaiton about the disco and ticket purchases will be distributed very shortly.
We need helpers with set up, on the door, in the kitchen and packing up. Sign up here – it’s heaps of fun. WWCC required.
Please sign up
Friday Lunchtime Snacks
(Quelch frozen fruit sticks & hot chocolates)
During the cooler months we will offer Quelch frozen fruit sticks every week, but will ONLY offer hot chocolate service if we have a full roster (ie 6 volunteers serving) by Thursday 12 noon (the day before). We cannot make hot chocolates happen on two sides of the school without a full roster.
Thank you to our strong band of core volunteers for signing up, however we still need:
- 3 more volunteers this week and next week;
- anywhere between 2-4extra volunteers for the remaining weeks of term.
If you can help from 12.30/12.45pm for about an hour, please sign up here: https://signup.com/go/ucPDnkn. WWCC required.
For children who have not pre-purchased for Term 3, icy-poles and hot chocolates can be purchased on the day for $1. Remember to bring your own cup and we’ll throw in a free marshmallow!
Weekly Cake Raffle
Christine Short is the next baker up this week, followed by Amanda Philpot next week. Our roster for term 3 is now full, and our Term 4 roster will be opening soon.
Don’t forget to buy your tickets!
Find all of our GPA rosters here
The GPA use SignUp rosters to coordinate all of our fundraising events – a list of our current rosters (and links) are listed below. Simply click the relevant event link (or copy it into your browser) and sign up for the spot(s) which suit you:
- Term 3 – Cake Raffle – 2019 – https://signup.com/go/yujyrBD – FULL, Term 4 roster coming soon
- Term 3 – Icy-pole and hot chocolates – 2019 – https://signup.com/go/ucPDnkn
- 2019 Kids Disco – https://signup.com/go/PCHjGFN
- 2019 Twilight Fete Coordinators – https://signup.com/go/mcoGvZW
- 2019 GPA Event Coordinators – https://signup.com/go/aNyByJp
Alternatively, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how you can help.
All of our GPA rosters can also be found on the GPA SignUps group page.
All of our Fete rosters can be found on the 2019 Twilight Fete rosters group page.
Support our fundraising
Families can support the GPA’s fundraising efforts by:
- purchasing Quelch frozen fruit sticks or hot chocolates for your child on Friday lunchtimes for $1 each
- purchasing tickets for $1 each in our weekly cake raffle each Friday
- purchasing an Entertainment Book
- considering 1stenergy as their energy supplier. 1st energy will donate $50 to GHPS for every school family who signs up – contact 1st Energy on 1300 426 594 and quote GHPS
All money raised directly benefits the school.
2019 Twilight Fete
Fiona Davey and the Fete Committee met on Tuesday night – and have an exciting fete in store for you. Helen Matthews wins the prize for filling her Lucky Jar Roster first – one filled, another 40 or so to go. In other news, we have rebranded our two Indian Food Stalls – with ‘Flavours of India’ and the Indian Street Food Stall.
Most of our coordinator positions have been filled, thanks to the wonderful people listed below.
- ART SHOW – Justine DeBruyn
- BALLOON TWISTER – Anuradha
- BAR – Ross Donnan
- BBQ – Diane Mentis
- CAFE – Nicole Bishop
- CAKE WALK – Fiona Davey
- CAKE STALL – Martina Gevaux
- CHAI AND SAMOSA STALL – Kalaselvi Karthikeyan
- CHOCOLATE TRAILER – Claire Piscioneri (staff)
- DESSERT STALL – Irene Giannellis
- DIWALI SAND ART – Aarti Dave
- FACE PAINTING – Jacqui Wright
- FAKE TATTOS – Jill Powell & Heidi Powell
- ‘FLAVOURS OF INDIA’ – Tharana (Tara) Surireddi and Nalini Majeli
- FREE KIDS AREA – Lisa Pinter
- FRUIT SMOOTHIE STALL – Amanda Philpot
- HANDMADE STALL – Abbi Gilbert
- HENNA STALL – Rohini Kulkarni
- INDIAN STREET FOOD STALL – Payal Mathur and Shyamali Sinha
- JAPANESE FOOD STALL – Andrew Aitken (staff)
- JUDE’S LEMON CORDIAL – Justine DeBruyn (staff)
- KIDS MEGA STALL – Tara Vos
- LUCKY JAR STALL – Helen Matthews
- MAJOR RAFFLE – Caitilin Hawkins
- PHOTOBOOTH – Richa Gupta
- PLANTS STALL – Cass and Ben Shields
- SOUVLAKI STALL – Theo Verginis
- SPONGE THE TEACHER – Justine DeBruyn (staff)
- TICKET BOOTH – Jillian Williams
- TRASH N TREASURE – Sharbani Dhar
Make sure you show these guys some love and sign up to help them on their stall or activity. You can find all of our Fete SignUp rosters on the Twilight Fete Rosters Group Page. Or by copying this link into your browser: https://signup.com/go/vCgGcsz. Alternatively, please see Laura in the office and ask her to sign you up.
The following 6 coordinator positions are still up for grabs:
- CRAZY HAIR
- MINI GOLF
- LUCKY DUCK STALL
- SILENT AUCTION
- SLOT CAR RACING
- TOILET ROLL THROW
Please consider signing up to become a 2019 Twilight Fete Coordinator here.
If you are interested in discussing the coordinator roles, have suggestions for stalls or activities, are able to offer any special skills or would just like further information, please email email@example.com or come along to the next meeting on Tuesday, 10 September at 7.30pm in the Wendy Wilson Hall
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know if you plan to attend any of our meetings and if you need transport.
Working With Children Check (WWCC)
Under the GHPS Volunteer Policy, all volunteers during school hours will need to hold a WWCC (Volunteer Check). This means that you will need to hold a WWCC (or have submitted your application) to volunteer on the icypole stall, to help with readers, in class rooms, to coordinate fete activities or stalls and at many more events held throughout the year.
It is simple, quick and free to apply for a WWCC online and to finalise your application at participating Australia Post Outlets. To secure your WWCC, please follow this link and get cracking: www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au
The GPA will be looking for new blood to take on the role of preparing the fortnightly GPA newsletters and other communications when Caitilin Hawkins steps down from this role at the end of October after the Fete. This job can be owned by one person or shared by more than one person and Caitilin is more than happy to hold your hand until you get the hang of it all. If you are interested in taking on this role or would like to find out more information about it, please contact email@example.com.